Placement of Garage Sale and other temporary signs
If you are planning a garage sale, you probably want to place a sign out by the street. However, there is a proper place and method to set up the sign. Please DO put these signs on stakes and stick them into the ground. Please DO NOT attach these signs to street sign poles, street light poles or electric utility poles. Signs that are on these items are subject to confiscation by city personnel.
We are asking that no signs be placed on city utility and street sign poles for a couple of reasons. One, there is a safety factor. When a city employee goes to work on the utility pole or street sign, there is a good chance they will get injured on nails or staples that are left in the pole after the signs are removed.
The second reason for not placing the sign on the poles is aesthetics. We want our city to look the best it can for the people who live here and those who come to visit. Signs on utility poles and street signs can quickly become an unsightly mess. Signs staked in the ground are less unsightly, and we also want to make sure that you pick them up after the garage sale is over.
If you need more information, please call Carlisle City Hall at 989-3224 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Article modified from the City of Carlisle website: http://carlisleiowa.org/how-do-i/how-do-i-advertise-a-garage-sale-on-my-property/
Please consider the following guidelines for garage sales to help stop the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19):
Practice safety and social distancing by doing the following:
- Place posters encouraging social distancing for customers to see upon arrival and while shopping.
- Set up tables and chairs within 6 feet apart.
- Use heavy-duty tape to form a flow for customers to follow throughout the sale.
- Ask customers to stand in a line, while spread apart, during a high traffic times.
- Clean all tables and chairs several times throughout the day.
- Make sure all merchandise is washed and dried and/or wiped down with a disinfectant product before placing on a table or chair for sale.
- Wipe down all tables and chairs using disinfectant at the end of the day or in the morning before the next day of the sale starts.
- Wear masks and disposable gloves at all times during the sale.
- Have hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol on tables and other places for customers to use.